Vectorworks Tutorials – for landscape & garden designers
The online Vectorworks Tutorials are ideal for those using Vectorworks 2018 to Vectorworks 2021. Especially if you’re a working landscape and garden designer who’s missed out on CAD training. It’s also invaluable if you need a refresher course, or if you’re not making the most of its potential.
You can download a 30 day free trial of the software and may be eligible for a student software licence** if you are in full-time education.
Many people find CAD difficult to learn in a traditional classroom. It’s easy to get left behind. This is where online learning comes into its own. You’ll never feel out of your depth.
As you become familiar with the tools, you’ll be able to work quickly in 2D change and resize objects, use hard landscaping tools to create custom patios, pathways and other landscape elements.
After that, we add the plants. You’ll learn how to create and edit your own plant definitions, how to design a schedule and place plants in the landscape according to seasonality and bloom time.
*student software status cannot be guaranteed.
How it works
- Includes 3 months tutorial support (which can be extended for an additional fee)
- 35 pre-recorded video lectures plus 20+ additional free bonus lectures
- Lifetimes access to the tutorials so you never forget how to do something
- Watch in your own time, replay and rewind as often as you like.
- We’ll guide you through step by step, starting with setting up your page templates.
- Individual support is provided throughout. Get feedback and advice from your tutor when you need it.
- Log into our virtual classroom, chat with other students, share tips and ideas.
Most students complete the course within 40-80 hours study.
What will I learn on the Vectorworks Landmark course?
The course is in 3 sections. Parts 1 and 2 cover the basic setup, techniques, and styles for 2D drawing. Part 3 includes creating planting plans, building your own plant database, planting schedules and reports
You’ll graduate with the confident ability to use every element of this powerful tool – not only as part of the creative process but also for providing cost options to clients and site information to other professionals within the industry.
Our Vectorworks Tutorials Course is a stand-alone course with tutor support via our online classroom. Lectures will be supplied in video format allowing students to revisit lectures as many times as necessary to maximise the learning outcome. The course can be completed in approximately 40 hours, depending on your level of skill and understanding.
The course includes 3 months tutored support. We recommend a minimum of 2-3 lesson per week which equates to approximately 2-3 hours per week if you wish to complete it in 3 months. You also have the option to extend your tutor support for a further month at an additional cost of £100 +VAT if required.
Vectorworks Landmark course full curriculum
- Setting up your workspace, setting up preferences and managing Vectorworks settings
- Introduction to the screen and pallets
- Page size grids, auto classing and templates
- Basic drawing techniques
- Drawing and selecting regular shapes, drawing irregular shapes and curves.
- Understanding X and Y coordinates and creating objects
- Resizing and changing objects
- Move, copy and move by point
- Duplicate array, and duplicate along a path
- Fillet chamfer and mirror objects
- Circles with even divides
- Fills and line weight
- Hatches and gradients
- Resource browser setup
- Text styles, callouts and notes
- Dimensioning preferences
- Classes and layers
- Viewports, sheets and printing
- How to import a land survey or architects’ file
- Drawing your own site survey
- Drawing the house
- Adding doors and windows
- Offsets and curves
- Levels and spot heights
- Setting out plan
- Setting out drawings
- Creating a setting out plan
- Working with hard landscape
- Creating steps and walls
- File organization and resources
- Using the hard landscape tool
- Calculating areas and reports
- Planting plans
- Adding plants
- Place plant tool
- Creating your own plant dimensions
- Editing plant definitions
- Creating a plant symbol
- Vectorworks plant database
- Creating mixed planting beds
- Creating a landscape plan
- VW plant database
- Adding your own plants
- Importing a plant database
- Plant schedules and reports
- Using the pre-made plant list
- Creating your own schedule
Fees and Dates
Course Start Dates
On-demand: Start as soon as you sign up
Fees: VectorWorks Tutorials Course £360
Enrolment May be subject to 24-48 hr payment processing delay
** A student liecence is only available to students on a minimum 1 year full-time landscape/horticultural course